Aberavon welcome Carmarthen Quins to the Talbot Athletic Ground this coming Saturday in the Principality Premiership West, kick off 2:30pm.

After the first two games, Aberavon have won two and sit on top of the West on ten points, whilst Carmarthen have lost both their games and sit in sixth position on one point.

Last season, the Quins finished sixth at the end of the first phase of the Premiership after winning nine and drawing one of their fifteen games. In the second phase, they finished eighth in Tier 1 after losing all seven games.

During pre-season, Carmarthen played at Tata Steel RFC and Cardiff RFC. At the Arms Park the West Walians went down 5 - 12 with flanker Lewys Millin scoring a try for the Quins.

In the league, the Quins opened their season with a 8 - 24 loss against Llanelli at Parc y Scarlets. The homeside scored a hat-trick of tries in the first half but had to wait until the closing minutes to record their fourth try to secure a bonus point win. For Carmarthen, their points came from an early penalty by outside half Steff Marshall and a second half try by hooker Rhodri Clancy. 

Last weekend, Carmarthen were due to host Neath but the game was switched to the Gnoll after the Quins pitch was deemed unfit for play. Neath scored a very late try to snatch the win after the Quins looked to have won the game going into the final minute after a try from scrum half Ifan Beynon-Thomas. However, a kick and chase try from full back Ed Howley saw Neath win 18 - 15. Carmarthen's points came via tries by wing Morgan Griffiths and Beynon-Thomas, whilst outside half Dan Jones kicked a conversion and penalty.

Head-to-head, Aberavon and Carmarthen Quins have met each other 28 times in the Welsh National League with the Wizards leading the series by 18 wins to 9 with 1 game drawn. At the Talbot Athletic Ground, Aberavon lead 11 - 2 with 1 game drawn, with the Wizards winning the fixture 38 - 33 last season.

Looking back at the first time both sides met in the league at the Talbot Athletic Ground (August 26th, 2000) the Wizards started well and had alot of possession. However, some poor decision making meant that Aberavon failed to make the most of this possession and went into half time just 6 - 3 up - two penalties for outside half Jamie Davies to a penalty by his opposite number Giles Thomas. In the second half the visitors scrummaging improved and drew level on the hour through a second Thomas penalty. In the last 10 minutes of the match, both outside halves exchanged penalties. In injury time Davies kicked a fourth penalty only to be cancelled out by a drop goal by Thomas from near the touchline. However, two minutes into injury time, Davies slotted another penalty. As if it was an action replay from before, Thomas again levelled the matters on 15 all with his second drop goal. Final score Aberavon 15 - 15 Carmarthen Quins.

The Wizards team that day was: Ricky Price; Sam Greenaway, Paul Morgan, Barry Maddocks, Grant Radford; Jamie Davies, Daniel Hawkins; Mike Harris, Jason Hyatt, Mark Thomas (rep Lloyd Howell), Mervyn Meredith, Mark Evans (capt), Kevin Evans, Ian Moore (rep Richard Morris), Andrew Thomas (rep Howard Merrett).

The referee for Saturday’s game is Elgan Williams, aided by Jonathan Evans and Mark Jones.